[gmx-users] Isovalue for g_spatial representation

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 30 01:53:38 CEST 2010

eef,

I wrote g_spatial.

If you use the -nodiv option, then the iso-value represents the number
of counts in that bin over the entire trajectory divided by the number
of frames. Therefore the units would be "atomic occupancy counts per
frame". Note that, as for all such histograms, the values of isolines
and isosurfaces are dependent on bin size.

If you use the -div option (default), then the counts (already divided
by the number of frames) are further divided by the number of atoms in
the selection and then multiplied by the number of cells (similar to
dividing by the volume of each cell). It's really a lot like an RDF: a
number density per grid divided by the overall system density. It is,
however, related to this by some multiplicative constant. You can find
that because at the end of a g_density -div run, you will get an
output of exactly what this divisor was, so you can go in using awk or
whatever you like and modify the values as you see fit, turning values
into proper densities if you like. Alternatively, you can run -nodiv
and then divide all the the values yourself to get a proper density.

Chris.