[gmx-users] ARG Charmm gmx 4.5.1

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 15:12:51 CEST 2010

Hi Berk and others,

I have been wondering if there was another way to treat the large charge
groups for the CHARMM forcefield(s) in GROMACS, rather than using the
-nochargegrp option.

The reason I ask is because changing every atom to be in individual
charge groups changes the forcefield (albeit slightly) from its original
implementation and it would be good to be able to use the forcefields in
as close a way as possible as to how they were originally used in CHARMM.

I suppose another way to do it is to increase the cutoff's, however
changing the cutoff's from their original intended values is also
undesirable and this can also significantly impact on performance.
Whether this is better or worse (in the sense of the difference to how
the forcefields were originally used in CHARMM) than using -nochargegrp
I am not sure. I also noticed that in version 4.5 there is a rlistlong
parameter, could this be used to account for the large charge groups
rather than increasing other cutoff's?

Can anyone think of any other ways to do this? I have no idea if it be
easy/possible to implement an option to use the CHARMM approach for
treating charge groups (as I understand it when any atom is within the
cutoff then the whole charge group is included).

Sorry for the fairly long message and thanks for any insights you can give.

Tom

--
Dr Thomas Piggot
University of Southampton, UK.