[gmx-users] g_cluster cutoff

Itamar Kass itamar.kass at monash.edu
Mon Sep 20 02:22:35 CEST 2010

  Shalom Andreas,

I suggest you would look into the RMSD distribution inside your clusters
(file namermsd-dist.xvg). In this file you will see one or more peak.
The cut off you use should be larger then this peak but smaller then the
second peak.

I know this is a bit simplicity, but for more you can search the mailing
list.

Cheers,
Itamar

On 20/09/10 9:12 AM, Shay Teaching wrote:
> I'm not sure this is necessarily the case. Have you tried other
> methods (gromos for example)? What are you getting when using other
> methods?
> Regards,
> -Shay
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Kukol, Andreas <a.kukol at herts.ac.uk
> <mailto:a.kukol at herts.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I am using g_cluster to analyse a trajectory (protein backbone):
>
>     g_cluster -f traj.xtc -s topol.tpr -g cluster.log -skip 10 -cutoff
>     0.5 -fit -method linkage
>
>     As a result I get almost hundred clusters. The plot of the RMSD
>     against time for the same trajectory generated with g_rms shows a
>     maximum RMSD just below 0.5 nm. Therefore, with a -cutoff of 0.5
>     nm, I would expect to find that the whole trajectory clusters into
>     ONE cluster. Am I expecting something wrong or is there a problem
>     with g_cluster ?
>
>     (using Gromacs 4.07)
>
>     Many thanks
>     Andreas
>

>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>     www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut