[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling question

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 20 14:52:49 CEST 2010

Aswathy:

We can't tell if you did US correctly unless you post what you have
done. You must give more info and you must copy and paste the actual
input / .mdp parameters that you used.

As for if your PMF is correct, then we can never tell you that. You
can, however, ensure that your sampling distributions are compatible
with the PMF that you get out of WHAM by looking at the probability
histograms and ensuring that they tend away from the center of
restraint and toward local minima on your PMF.

There are hundreds of reasons why your PMF might be wrong (note that
it also might be correct!) but that is impossible for us to tell with
the information that you have provided. At the very least, one would
need to see the PMF and all of the info I mentioned above. Also, you
should check (and show us!) convergence. If you PMF is still drifting
with increasing sampling (or increased initial time discarded as
equilibration) then you are simply not converged for sure.

Chris.