[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling question

Aswathy ammasachu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:41:23 CEST 2010

Hi Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply.

I will give you more details on my US.
Initially ligand is positioned at the starting of the channel and pulled
down wards.(SMD)

1. I have generated all configurations from the SMD(trjconv).
2. Created one index group for center of the channel and another for ligand.
3. Generated a summary_distance file (g_dist) using these index groups
4. Window spacing selected as 0.1nm.
5. run Us with the follo: p[arameters.

pull                     = umbrella
pull_geometry            = position
pull_dim                 =  N N Y
pull_start               = no
pull_nstxout             =  10
pull_nstfout             =  10
pull_ngroups             =  1
pull_group0              =  U_ref(channel center)
pull_pbcatom0            = 0
pull_group1              =  LIG
pull_pbcatom1            = 0
pull_init1               =  0 0 0
pull_k1                  =  1000
pull_rate1               = 0
pull_vec1                =  0 0 0

pull_init 0 0 0 represent the sampling of minimum g_dist value (ligand near
to center of the channel). for positive Z axis, it may change as 0 0 0.1, 0,
0, 0.2 etc. along -z axis, it is 0 0 -0.1, 0, 0, -0.2 etc.
6. initial 400PS  took as equilibration during PMF plot.
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae290/aswathys/?action=view&current=PROFILE-eq400.jpg

If the PMf is not converged, does it means we need to sample more time or
with higher force constant or need to sample more configurations?

Could you please tell me more on the point that you suggested "check the
probability histograms and ensuring that they tend away from the center of
restraint and toward local minima". ?

Thanks in advance.

Aswathy