[gmx-users] 1,4 interactions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 29 15:34:38 CEST 2010

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> Thanks for replying. I have checked the energy file and there are no 1,4
> terms, which is what I expected. I should clarify that my parameters are
> taken from the OPLS ua forcefield but I have relabelled them for my own
> model, which is not a common molecule. Therefore all the info on the
> molecule is in .top and obviously the .gro file. i.e. there are no
> #include statements. Now I take it that the non-bonded LJ are taken from
> the [atom types] directive? The question is then how and where do I
> state the 1,4 terms. I always thought that when gen-pairs = yes, then
> gromacs would generate a list of all the 1,4 interaction types?

You don't explicitly state 1-4 terms with OPLS-AA.  While you don't need a
[pairtypes] directive, you do need a [pairs] directive to dictate the 1-4
interactions.  Setting "gen-pairs = yes" generates the parameters, such that a
[pairtypes] directive is unnecessary.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate