[gmx-users] domain decomposition

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 5 09:57:09 CEST 2011

On 5/04/2011 5:39 PM, mohsen ramezanpour wrote:
> Dear Mark
>
> Thank you for your important notes,I didn't know them.
>
> Then,Can it  be resulted from your sentences , there is not any way
> for doing simulation with only some parts of  a protein?
> What can I do if I need simulating only ACTIVE SITE of a protein?Do I
> have to simulate the whole of protein?
> Thanks in advance

Generally, yes. For example, it is well known that the electrostatic
influence of the bulk of the protein affects the function of enzymes.
Polarization of ligand charge density by the environment can have a
strong effect on all kinds of chemistry, and is one of the chief
limitations of trying to use the molecular-mechanics static-point-charge
model. People spend obscene amounts of resources doing QM+MM MD because
they need to, not because they have too much computer time! (Even these
models ignore the polarization of the protein on itself... charges
parameterized on small-molecule model data need have no relevance near a
catalytic site...)

Time spent doing background reading can pay off hundred-fold :-)

Mark