[gmx-users] multicomponent system- units

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 10 02:56:23 CEST 2011

On 8/04/2011 12:18 PM, Elisabeth wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have encountered a simple problem. For a homogenous system what
> g_energy reports is dependent on the system size and one needs to use
> -nmol option to divide energies by number of molecules to obtain per
> mol values.
>
> I am attempting to extract interaction energies between species in a
> three component system. I am puzzled how this can be achieved for such
> a system. Say there are 100 solvent, 20 solute A and 10 B molecules.

You would have to start by defining energy groups that contain relevant
sets of molecules (see manual). Even once you've got them, the
group-wise energies won't mean much of anything. Every observable is
dependent on the configuration microstate, and unless you can estimate
the relative population of different microstates to estimate a free
energy...