[gmx-users] Unexpected results arising from T- and P-coupling methods

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 12 15:13:47 CEST 2011

I can't tell you if there is a problem or not.

The only intended difference that I can see is that for 4.5.X:

# grompp by default sets the new nsttcouple parameter equal to
nstlist, this means T-coupling is done less frequently; grompp checks
if tau_t is large enough
# grompp by default sets the new nstpcouple parameter equal to
nstlist, this means P-coupling is done less frequently; grompp checks
if tau_p is large enough

(see http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Release_Notes/Versions_4.5.x )

Note that there were some fixes to P-R scaling in the 4.0.X series --
se http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Release_Notes/Revisions_in_4.0

To test this further, I suggest that you need to define a good
procedure to ensure that what you are seeing is (b) from a well
equilibrated system and is also (b) statistically significant.

I suggest that one way to do this is to cycle through your T- and P-
coupling options at a given temperature. For example, at T=500 K, run
X ns of Berendsen, then X ns of Parrinello-Rahman, then back to
Berendsen, and so on for a few cycles. Each time you switch coupling
method, be sure to use the structure output from the previous run.
Also be sure that X ns is as long as you can afford. This way, you
will be able to pick out systematic changes as temperature/density
oscillations with periods that are related to your changes of
algorithm. This also ensures that what you are seeing is not simply an
artifact of having a poorly equilibrated density in your initial
structure.

You could also run the same cycle with Berendsen and V-rescale.

Chris.