[gmx-users] Unexpected results arising from T- and P-coupling methods

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Apr 12 15:37:36 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have also realized similar behaviour:

NpT simulations performed with a Berendsen barostat give lower densities
than simulations coupled with P-R. However I think this is due to the
fact that I never achieve a pressure of 1bar (it is always around
1.2bar) with P-R even after a previous equilibration of 40ns. I am aware
that pressure is a strongly fluctuating quantity and this topic has been
discussed for several times on the list, but the equations of motion for
the box size given by the Lagrangian for P-R should finally give an
average pressure of 1bar even if the fluctuations are large. So what I
assume is, that the Leap-Frog integrator is not suitable for this
coupling scheme, BUT THIS IS JUST AN ASSUMPTION I DO NOT KNOW, and
unfortunately I had no time to try and validate this, yet.

/Flo

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl. - Phys.