[gmx-users] aminoacids.n.tdb

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 12 15:26:36 CEST 2011

On 12/04/2011 10:30 PM, Emine Deniz Tekin wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

> Thank you for your reply. But, I couldn’t understand very well what
> you meant “you can make one that uses backbone-style linking. Most of
> the forcefields will have examples of non-amino-acid terminating
> residues - these make a single peptide bond just like yours does.”.So,
> let me explain the problem a little more.I would be happy if you could
> expound upon your reply.
>

> *1)*I prepared the *rtp *entry for the lauroic acid (see below) and
> add the lipid parameters to the relevant sections of the
> *ffnonbonded.itp* and *ffbonded.itp* files.

That is not an .rtp entry, see below. Look at some .rtp entries and see
how they make backbone bonds. That is what I understand you want to do -
make a peptide bond as if lauroic acid was an amino acid.

> *2)*I added the lauroic acid as a "Non-Protein” in the
> *residuetypes.dat*file and also I introduced the atom types (LO:
> 15.9994, LC:12.0110, LP2: 14.0270, LP3: 15.0350) in the *atomtypes.atp.*
>
> *3)*I concatenatedthe structure files of a 8-residue-peptide**and
> lauroic acid as *system.gro. *Then, using “pdb2gmx -ter”, I obtained
> the *topol.top, conf.gro* and *posre.itp* for *the whole system.* (I
> chose : start terminus VAL-2: NH2 and end terminus ASP-9: COO-)
>
> *4)*   But when I looked into *conf.gro* with the VMD, I see that the
> peptide bond is formed between the

No bond shown by VMD is relevant. It's guessing based on the coordinates
in your .gro file. Your bonded atoms are in your .top file. VMD knows
nothing about your .top file.

> lauroic acid (C34) and the N terminal of the Valine. However, second H
> of the N is still there and it is making another bond with C34 of
> lauroic acid. The strange thing is: C34 is double bonded to O35,Carbon
> makes four bonds.
>
> How can I get rid of that H?
>
> [ DPP ]

This is not an .rtp entry. The [bonds] section must refer to atom names.
I can only suppose pdb2gmx is warning about or ignoring everything after
your [atoms] section.

Look in the .rtp and chapter 5 of the manual how terminating
pseudo-residues like ACE work. Do something analogous for lauroic acid.

Mark