[gmx-users] RE: micelles and trjconv -pbc cluster

Ran Friedman ran.friedman at lnu.se
Thu Apr 14 18:27:03 CEST 2011

Hi,

Likewise, I have a modified version of g_clustsize that calculates the radius of gyration for the largest structure and can send you the code.

Ran
Ran Friedman
Biträdande Lektor (Assistant Professor)

Linnaeus University
School of Natural Sciences
391 82 Kalmar, Sweden

Norrgård, room 328d
+46 480 446 290 Telephone
+46 76 207 8763 Mobile
ran.friedman at lnu.se
http://lnu.se/ccbg

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:44:07 +0200
From: Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsjerkw at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] micelles and trjconv -pbc cluster
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

Hi George,

Recently I wrote an alternative, non-iterative clustering routine, that does
not suffer from convergence failures. If you want, I can send you the
modified trjconv source code. Note that it does not bother about the center
of mass of the cluster, but just builds a network of neighbours, until there
are no more. If you're clusters are not periodic, it won't matter.

Let me know...

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Erik Marklund <erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:

>  jim jack skrev 2011-04-14 16.42:
>
>   Dear GROMACS users,
>
>    I am trying to simulate an SDS micelle in water. As simulation time goes
> by, the micelle approaches the edge of the box and consequently some of
> these molecules get in from the other side. This leads to incorrect radius
> of gyration, eccentricity, etc. A solution to this problem is the option trjconv
> -pbc cluster as described in the page
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Micelle_Clustering. In this
> case, the problem is that it takes a lot of time and a huge file (several
> GB) is created due to this procedure. Is there any other alternative?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> George Koros
>
>    I don't think that the cluster option always converges. You could, if
> your micelle is intact at frame 0, first do trjconv -pbc nojump, then
> optionally trjconv -center. That should give a trajectory from which you
> could calculate the radius of gyration. If SDS molecules occationally leave
> the micelle and recombine with a priodic, then you might have a problem with
> the suggested approach.

> Please search the archive at

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands

End of gmx-users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 120