[gmx-users] mdrun_mpi in HP_MPI LSF/SLURM setup

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 16 23:34:29 CEST 2011

On 16/04/2011 12:13 AM, Larcombe, Lee wrote:
> Hi gmx-users
>
> We have an HPC setup running HP_MPI and LSF/SLURM. Gromacs 4.5.3 has been compiled with mpi support
> The compute nodes on the system contain 2 x dual core Xeons which the system sees as 4 processors
>
> An LSF script called gromacs_run.lsf is as shown below
>
> #BSUB -N
> #BSUB -J "gromacsTest5"
> #BSUB -u l.larcombe at cranfield.ac.uk
> #BSUB -n 4
> #BSUB -q short
> #BSUB -o %J.log
> mpirun -srun mdrun_mpi -v -s xxx.tpr -o xxx.trr
>
> Queued with:
>
> Bsub<  gromacs_run.lsf
>
> This is intended to run 1 mdrun on a single node using all four cores of the two xeons. The result is that although the job is only submitted to one compute node, 4 mdruns are launched on each of the 4 cores = 16 jobs. These are all the same as if mdrun has not been compiled with mpi support.

mdrun_mpi will run one process on each core that the MPI configuration
declares is available. Spawning four separate runs of four processes
indicates that MPI is not configured to reflect the hardware (since each
run thinks it can have four processes), or that the submission script is
inappropriate (since four runs get spawned), or both. We can't help
there. Trouble-shoot with a trivial MPI test program.