[gmx-users] L-BFGS energy minimization not leading to wrapping of dna around cnt

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 20 21:01:33 CEST 2011

majid hasan wrote:
> Okay, thanks. But then does it make any big difference on mdrun if we
> don't minimize energy first?

You should always run energy minimization.  What I'm saying is that you should
not expect to see any major changes or important phenomena evolve when simply
running EM.

> And one more thing, any idea how long it may take to run md for 367
> atoms on a laptop with 2GB ram, and dual core 1.4GHz processor. I am
> just wondering if it is possible to get any results from mdrun on laptop?

You can get results, but that depends entirely upon how much of the processor is
being used to do other things at the same time.  For a small system, running
locally may be an option, but for anything larger than a few hundred atoms
you're better off running on a real cluster to avoid performance loss.  It will
certainly "work," but probably not as fast as you might need for very long
simulations.

-Justin

> Thanks again,
> Majid