[gmx-users] Re: Probable error in trjcat; skipping frames

Lipi Thukral lipi.thukral at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:51:07 CEST 2011

Hi Justin,

I am using Gromacs 4.5 beta-2.
gmxcheck with file 1 and file 2 tells me exactly the number of frames I
specified.
gmxcheck -f File1.xtc
Frames: 2175

gmxcheck -f File2.xtc
Frames: 1232

While after concatenating, it skips the frames and the combined trajectory
results in 1266 frames.
Do you attribute this to Gromacs4.5beta2 version? Is there a possible bug in
that version for trjcat?

Regards,
Lipi

Lipi Thukral wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
>
> I intended to concantanate two trajectories with no similar time frames
> i.e., both files have distinct time frames. But once I combine the files
> many time frames are skipped, details are as follows:
>
> File 1 has 2175 frames
> File 2 has 1232 frames

What does gmxcheck tell you about each of these files?

> I used the following command to concatenate:
>
> trjcat -f File1.xtc File2.xtc -o CombinedFile3.xtc
>
> Now I obtained in total 1266 frames instead of 3407 frames as expected.
> When I compared the CombinedFile3 with both File 1 and File 2, I found
> that it has somehow taken the first  34 frames from File 1 and rest of
> the frames belongs to File 2 i.e., the last file.
>
> I am unable to understand why trjcat skips the frames inspite of no
> similarity. I am using 4.5-beta version of Gromacs. I am also open to
> sharing the files, should that be needed.

There have been numerous beta versions over the last few years, none of
which
should necessarily be considered stable.  Which beta are you using exactly?

-Justin

> Any possible explanation as to why I am obtaining the combined
> trajectory with skipping frames, would be really helpful.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Lipi

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate