[gmx-users] cannot open file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 3 00:53:49 CEST 2011

Taylor Kaplan wrote:
> [...]
> etExcited.log -pd &.
>
> I've double checked my directory, all the file names are right and I've
> checked my nve.mdp file that I was running which I've posted below as well.
>
> title               = production-dynamics
> ;warnings           = 10
> cpp                 = /lib/cpp
> ;DEFINE             = -DPOSRES
> DEFINE             = -DFLEXIBLE
> ;constraints         = hbonds
> ;constraint_algorithm = shake
> integrator         = md
> dt                 = 0.0005  ;
> nsteps             = 1000000  ;
> ;nstcomm           = 1     ; reset c.o.m motion
> nstlist            = 10
> ns_type            = grid
> nstenergy          = 1  ; print energies
> nstlog             = 1  ; print to logfile
> nstvout            = 100000   ; write velocities
> nstxout            = 100000  ; collect data in fs (write coords)
> ;nstxtcout         = 0   ; to print corrdinates to xtc trajectory
> energygrps         = Protein  HC4 r_42 r_46  r_50  r_52  r_68 r_69 r_70 SOL
> nstfout            = 0
> coulombtype        = PME-Switch
> fourierspacing     = 0.12
> pme_order          = 4
> vdwtype            = switch
> rvdw               = 1.0
> rlist              = 1.2
> rcoulomb           = 1.0
> pbc                = xyz
> ;dispcorr           = Ener
> continuation      = yes
> ;Berendsen temperature coupling is on
> Tcoupl         = no   ; temperature bath (yes, no)
> ;tau_t           = 0.1
> ;tc-grps         = system
> ;ref_t           = 300
> ;Berendsen Pressure coupling is on
> pcoupl          = no         ; pressure bath (yes, no)
> ;pcoupltype      = isotropic
> ;tau_p           = 0.5
> ;compressibility = 4.5e-05
> ;ref_p           = 1.0
> ;Generate velocities  is on at 300
> gen_vel         = no       ; generate initial velocities
> ;gen_temp        = 300.0     ; initial temperature
> ;gen_seed        = 173529    ; random seeD
>
> Lastly I used the command " grompp -f nve.mdp -c etExcited.gro -p
> etExcited.top -n res.ndx -o etExcited " to generate my .tpr file and I
> had no errors. To show that I have all the correct files in my directory
>  below I have printed the files from ls command.
>
> nalysis           etSimulation.gro  #mdout.mdp.2#   posre_Protein.itp
> E46QT50V.pdb       etSimulation.log  #mdout.mdp.3#   resE.ndx
> em.mdp             etSimulation.top  nohup.out       res.ndx
> em.sh              etSimulation.trr  npt.mdp         Save
> etExcited.gro      et.tpr            nve.mdp         state_prev.cpt
> etExcited.top      machine           nvt.mdp         stateSimulation.cpt
> etExcited.tpr      mdout.mdp         posre_Ion2.itp  topol.top
> #etExcited.tpr.1#  #mdout.mdp.1#     posre.itp
>
> I have no idea why this stopped working for me, its just very recent.

If things used to work and now don't, and everything else is constant with
respect to Gromacs (i.e. the version and specific installation you're using),
then this is a problem for your sysadmin.  Sudden, unexpected changes mean
someone is messing with your system.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate