[gmx-users] spatial distribution function in a binary solvent mixture

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 3 03:31:38 CEST 2011

Here's the totally wasteful way for you to get what you want:

1. for each molecule in type A: trjorder everything around that
molecule and output only the closest N atoms of type A and the closest
M atoms of type B. Ensure that the coordinate order is: your central
molecule of type A is first, the remaining type A second, and the type
B third.

2. concatenate all of these trajectories into one single large trajectory

3. trjconv -fit trans+rot , fitting only to the single central molecule.

4a. g_spatial for the non-central type A
4b. g_spatial for type B

* now repeat switching types A and B in the above steps to get the
SDFs arouns type B.

A much better idea is for you to modify g_spatial to do this all
within one loop. But if you don't know C then you are out of luck there.

g_sdf may not work because you are underdetermined (there is a
symmetry about the long axis that you can not specify). But perhaps
you could use that to your advantage and select some totally unrelated
atom as the third atom for the fit. My best guess is that this would
be no worse than g_spatial.

A final option is for you to use g_mindist to output all of the
contacts and then run over that with your own script to process the
data into an SDF and output it in cube format.

Chris.