[gmx-users] Force-field checking options

mcgrath mcgrath at theory.biophys.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 4 02:39:42 CEST 2011

Hello Justin and Mark.

>>> All angles in CHARMM27 use Urey-Bradley type angles, so the angle
>>> bending energies are the U-B term.
>>
>> Different forcefields/programs use the label "Urey-Bradley" to refer
>> either the sum of the harmonic angle potential and the harmonic 1-3
>> potential (e.g. CHARMM27 in GROMACS), or just the latter (e.g.
CHARMM27
>> in CHARMM). So mileage does vary.

Ah, good to know.  Yeah, I was used to separate terms, but I probably
should have figured that out when there wasn't an explicit "BEND" term.

>> You didn't say how you were measuring the energies, but if it was MD
>> averages, then your averages are over different ensembles, even from
the
>> same starting point with notionally the same algorithm.

It's from a zero step MD run with GROMACS, and a single point energy
calculation with CP2K, so shouldn't be an issue.

>> Probably. Getting the output from grompp -pp, and then choosing
atom(s)
>> to have zero charge, and/or zero VDW parameters is a good way to
>> trouble-shoot, assuming your other software can be massaged to
replicate
>> the effect. Before that, check that the energy of a single
amino-acid
>> can be replicated.

Good ideas.  I'll give that a shot and see what comes up (I wasn't
familiar with the -pp option, and didn't want to change the original ff
files).  Thanks!

                               Cheers, Matt