[gmx-users] setting vdw cutoff with specific force-filed?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 4 13:23:51 CEST 2011

Yun Shi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working with GROMOS 53a6 ff in GROMACS 4.5, and I assume a
> Lennard-Jones interaction function was used for short-range vdw
> interactions.
>
>  From the reference paper /A Biomolecular Force Field Based on the Free
> Enthalpy of Hydration and Solvation: The GROMOS Force-Field Parameter
> Sets 53A5 and 53A6/, I found that for example,
>
> when rvdw = 1.5nm, the repulsion term of the interaction between two CH1
> type atoms (C12ij = 9.85^2) can be calculated as 9.850*9.850 / (1.5^12)
> = 0.747786 kJ/mol. So I wonder if this value is considered to be small
> enough to be ignored.
>
> In addition, it seems not until 5 nm does the dispersion term become
> larger than the repulsion term in this case, so would turning on
> Dispersion Correction between, say 1.5 to 5 nm introduce more errors
> than turning it off?

You should use the cutoff described the authors of the force field, in this case
rvdw=1.4.  Unless you can demonstrate that by using a different value you can
achieve superior results, stick with the specifics of parameterization.  I have
never seen ill effects of setting rvdw=1.4 and using dispersion correction with
this force field.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar