[gmx-users] Constraints not working in pull code (sometimes, sometimes not)

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 10 18:08:25 CEST 2011

I agree that Justin is probably correct, although constraints should
technically work just fine with a highly dynamic reference group. Any
problems should show up as the system blowing up, but not in correctly
setting the position. I think that the problems can arise, however,
when you have multiple competing constraints. You might, for example,
try without constraining the octane bonds -- I think that you should
get perfect match in that case. Also, it is worth comparing in single
and double precision.

Still, I am not sure that you actually did a proper comparison for the
following 2 reasons:

1. you have apparently different masses for the pulled group:
> Pull group 1:    15 atoms, mass   194.194
> Pull group 1:    15 atoms, mass   146.146

2. you used very different starting depth offsets: -2.81855 is not
very close to -1.60929

PS: I would personally prefer if you avoided jumping directly to a bug
report unless you are sure of it. There is always at least the
possibility that you are not using the code correctly.

Chris.