[gmx-users] To modify PRODRG-generated .itp file?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 11 00:10:25 CEST 2011

Yun Shi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In addition to modifying atomic charges to the .itp file generated by
> PRODRG, I also want to change the vdw C12 and C6 parameters of selected
> 1-4 LJ interactions and modify some 1-5 LJ interactions (or any
> non-bonded LJ interactions) with the vdw C12 and C6 parameters I prefer.
>
> So should I just make changes to the [ pairs ] section of the .itp file?
> For example, change
>
> ; ai  aj  fu    c0, c1, ...
>    1   4   1

> ; ai  aj  fu    c0, c1, ...
>    1   4   1   0.004724   1.84e-6
>
> How can I make sure it will override the parameters in the [ pairtypes ]
> section of the ffnonbonded.itp file? And I should make these values (c0

You can always verify the contents of the topology using gmxdump on the .tpr
file produced from it.

> for C6, c1 for C12) in accordance with the units in [ pairtypes ]
> section, right?

Yes, use correct units.

> Moreover, I want to change some dihedral parameters. But I saw the .itp
> file generated by PRODRG as something like
>
> [ dihedrals ]
> ; ai  aj  ak  al  fu    c0, c1, m, ...
> 10   5   4   3   1      0.0    5.9 3      0.0    5.9 3
>
> so 0.0 is the phase shift, 5.9 is the force constant, 3 is the
> multiplicity, but why these values appeared twice in a row? When I

When two sets of values are present, they correspond to the A state and B state
for free energy calculations.  If you're not doing anything with the free energy
code, the second set is ignored.

> modify them, should I also write them twice as this format? Will it
> override dihedral parameters that are already in the ffbonded.itp file?

It should, yes.  But again, use gmxdump to be sure you're getting what you think
you should be.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar