[gmx-users] how to simulate a line charge

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 14 22:23:40 CEST 2011

Amit Choubey wrote:
> Justin, when i define the whole line charge as a charge group i do get a
> coulomb energy contribution. I thought there would be no non-bonded
> contribution. I use a very high cut-off (longer than chain length) and
> no pbc. Am i missing something ?

Without seeing your .mdp file and the actual energy terms you're observing, I
can only guess.  One would think that if it is the only molecule in the system,
there should be no intermolecular Coulombic terms (unless maybe some arise due
to periodicity, but in that case you do not have an infinite system and then
they are artifacts).  There may be intramolecular terms (like 1-4) or
PME-related terms.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080