[gmx-users] GROMACS 4.5.4 keep crashing all the time.

Itamar Kass itamar.kass at monash.edu
Wed Aug 17 03:48:25 CEST 2011

Hi all GROMACS useres and developers,

I am interesting in simulating a small protein (~140 aa) in water, with and without Ca ions. In order to do so, I had used version 4.5.4. I had solvate the protein in water, add ions to naturalise the systems, equilibrated the systems and then tried productive runs. Now, no matter what I did, it crashed after few ps's of free MD or during the PR runs.

Few of the things I had tried are:
1. Running the simulations on different systems (OSX, linux or blue-gene).
2. Using single or double precision versions.
3. An equilibration stage, 1ns long with a time-step of 1fs, during which the restrained forces where gradually reduced from 1000 to 50 kJ mol-1 nm-2.
4. Running part of the equilibration stage as NVT and then switched to NPT.
5. Started from different x-ray structures, with resolutions differ from 2.5 to 1.7 Angstrom.

Finally I had moved back to 4.0.7 which worked like charm. I wonder if someone else had encounter something like this. Attached please find the mdp files I used.

All the best,
Itamar.