[gmx-users] more than 100% CPU

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 19 02:52:39 CEST 2011

Slightly off-topic, but for all but the smallest systems, I get a
further 10% efficiency by running a 16-process mpi job on an 8-core
machine. I suspect that the story is the same with threads. Thus, on a
16-core node, you could try starting 32 threads. Note that this will
report a 2x larger "efficiency" as you were discussing before, but by
checking the ns.day you will see that the benefit is between 5% and 16%

Chris.

It means you are running a lot of parallel processes, but that does
not translate into a linear increase in speed.  So faster, but not 16X.

Warren Gallin