[gmx-users] Using genbox to REMOVE solvent

Michael Daily mdaily.work at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 04:02:51 CEST 2011

I tried an experiment similar to yours - after converting the POPE's to
POPC's when I remove all waters that are near the (lipid-emulsified)
nanoparticle based on a radial criterion and then run genbox again, the
total number of waters decreases by about 1100.  Compared to a control case
(ran genbox on the starting structure) that added 1600 waters, this means a
net loss of about 2700 waters.

In any case this is an important discussion for any of you running MARTINI
models - yes it's straightforward to "convert" lipid molecules but the
result can be a terrible starting structure - fortunately the system can be
regenerated from scratch with a new lipid config overnight.

--
Michael D. Daily