[gmx-users] increasing cut-off and PME grid spacing

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 20 19:07:06 CEST 2011

Hsin-Lin Chiang wrote:
> **Hi,
>
> I want to run mdrun -nt 12 on our cluster.
>
> When I execute,
> grompp -f test.mdp -o test.tpr -c ../3eq/eq.gro -t ../3eq/eq.trr -p
> ../initial/insulin.top -n ../initial/index.ndx
>
> I got the message,
>
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 1.00
>
> NOTE 1 [file test.mdp]:
>   The optimal PME mesh load for parallel simulations is below 0.5
>   and for highly parallel simulations between 0.25 and 0.33,
>   for higher performance, increase the cut-off and the PME grid spacing
>

> Then I changed my mdp to get
>
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.20
>
> Belos is my new mdp file
> I change rlist, rcoulumb, and rvdw from 1 to 12 and fourierspacing from
> 0.2 to 2 to get the lower relative computational load.
> I'm afraid these extreme high value caused some bad effect.

If the simulation is even stable, it will be horribly inaccurate.  12 nm cutoffs
are unheard of and 2-nm grid spacing is about 20 times too large.

Without seeing the original .mdp file that gave the high PME load, and without a
further description about how large the system is (number of atoms), it is hard
to say what you should do.  Some system do not parallelize well, but I imagine
you should be able to get better performance.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar