[gmx-users] increasing cut-off and PME grid spacing

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 20 23:31:10 CEST 2011

Hsin-Lin Chiang wrote:
>>If the simulation is even stable, it will be horribly inaccurate.  12 nm cutoffs
>>are unheard of and 2-nm grid spacing is about 20 times too large.
>>
>>Without seeing the original .mdp file that gave the high PME load, and without a
>>further description about how large the system is (number of atoms), it is hard
>>to say what you should do.  Some system do not parallelize well, but I imagine
>>you should be able to get better performance.
>>
>>-Justin
>

> Thank you for reply
>
> The original .mdp is below and the number of atoms is 20171

How big is the box?  You don't have any vacuum space, do you?  The only reason
I've seen for PME load being so large in conjunction with "normal" settings and
a simple system is if you've got a large void that causes PME to do a whole lot
of work to accomplish nothing.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate