[gmx-users] increasing cut-off and PME grid spacing

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 21 06:31:57 CEST 2011

Hsin-Lin Chiang wrote:
> Hi, Justin
>
> Sorry for the unclear message.
> My box vector in .gro file are 44.22834  44.22834  44.22834 and the
> number of atoms is 20171

You've set an unreasonably large box, as I expected.  The box should be set in
nm, not Angstrom.  20171 atoms is a fairly small system, and in effect what
you've created is a protein in a droplet of water, surrounded by vacuum.  90% of
the work done by PME will be to calculate a grid of nothing.

> The output of grompp is shown below,
> I don't know if it is enough and I'm sorry I don't know how should I do
> after you reply.
> Could you please give me more messages in detail?

The solution is to set a correct box, unless your objective is to simulate a
droplet, in which case you have no choice but to take the performance loss
inherent to using PME.

-Justin

> [...]
>   -n ../initial/index.ndx  Input, Opt!  Index file
>   -p ../initial/insulin.top  Input        Topology file
>  -pp  processed.top  Output, Opt. Topology file
>   -o       test.tpr  Output       Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
>   -t  ../3eq/eq.trr  Input, Opt!  Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
>   -e       ener.edr  Input, Opt.  Energy file
>
> Option       Type   Value   Description
> -[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
> -[no]version bool   no      Print version info and quit
> -nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
> -[no]v       bool   no      Be loud and noisy
> -time        real   -1      Take frame at or first after this time.
> -[no]rmvsbds bool   yes     Remove constant bonded interactions with
> virtual
>                             sites
> -maxwarn     int    0       Number of allowed warnings during input
>                             processing. Not for normal use and may generate
>                             unstable systems
> -[no]zero    bool   no      Set parameters for bonded interactions without
>                             defaults to zero instead of generating an error
> -[no]renum   bool   yes     Renumber atomtypes and minimize number of
>                             atomtypes
>
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'
>
> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.3#
> Generated 279 of the 1225 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein_chain_A'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Excluding 1 bonded neighbours molecule type 'NA'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 300 K
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Protein is 1448.89
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group non-Protein is 39297.11
> Reading Coordinates and Box size from old trajectory
> Will read whole trajectory
> Velocities generated: ignoring velocities in input trajectory
> trn version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
> Last frame        800 time  800.000
> Using frame at t = 800 ps
> Starting time for run is 0 ps
> Largest charge group radii for Van der Waals: 0.248, 0.178 nm
> Largest charge group radii for Coulomb:       0.248, 0.214 nm
> Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
> Using a fourier grid of 224x224x224, spacing 0.197 0.197 0.197
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 1.00
>
> NOTE 1 [file test.mdp]:
>   The optimal PME mesh load for parallel simulations is below 0.5
>   and for highly parallel simulations between 0.25 and 0.33,
>   for higher performance, increase the cut-off and the PME grid spacing
>

> NOTE 2 [file test.mdp]:
>   This run will generate roughly 3481 Mb of data
>
> There were 2 notes
>
> Back Off! I just backed up test.tpr to ./#test.tpr.3#
>
> gcq#159: "Way to Go Dude" (Beavis and Butthead)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee