[gmx-users] NPT - density off

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 21 06:56:32 CEST 2011

On 21/08/2011 2:08 PM, Elisabeth wrote:

> On 20 August 2011 21:20, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 20/08/2011 8:02 AM, Elisabeth wrote:
>>     Dear experts,
>>
>>     I am intending to calculate the equilibrium density of a pure
>>     hydrocarbon at different pressures , at 425 K. The normal boiling
>>     point of the liquid is around 350 K. For pressures below 100 bar
>>     densities I am getting from NPT is in accurate. I start form a
>>     structure which is compressed to above 0.6 g/cm3 density but
>>     since temperature is high density goes than to the values below.
>>
>>     P = 50 bar > NPT rho=   0.344   experimental density ~ 0.54
>>     P    100 >     NPT rho=  0.43      experimental density ~ 0.55
>>
>>     densities become more accurate for P >100 bar.
>>
>>     P     500 >   rho=  0.56    experimental density ~ 0.61
>>
>>     I thought maybe you have some idea on how this inaccuracy can be
>>     improved.
>
>     These could reflect limitations in the model you are using (which
>     almost certainly wasn't parametrized upon data like this). Your
>     integration time step is twice as large as is commonly used in the
>     absence of constraints. Also, be sure you are measuring your
>     density only after equilibration, not an average that includes the
>     equilibration period - and describe that method so people here
>     know you're making such sensible measurements.
>

> Hello Mark,
>
> Thank you for your comment. Densities are equilibrated. I am not sure
> what you mean by limitations in the model.

Parameters are not magic truth values. They're empirical values that
have been observed to replicate some experimental or computational
results - almost invariably room temperature and atmospheric pressure.
It is not necessarily known how well they reproduce other conditions -
increasing temperature and pressure may well lead to those parameters
modelling some alternative reality. Taking a small test system and
systematically trialling small increases in temperature and/or pressure
from "normal" will tend to reveal such trends. Such results may indicate
the need for different parametrization. This is typically expensive in
computer and human time.

Mark