[gmx-users] PS_PC system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:14:01 CEST 2011

Du Jiangfeng (BIOCH) wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I am still struggling with PS_PC system for quiet a long time. I want to
> distribute some DPPS lipids (Negative changed) in one leaflet of DSPC
> (Neutral) membrane, however, the PS lipids go to both leaflets after EM
> simulation. How to restrict PS just in one side?

Lipid flip-flop is not something that should occur during EM, or likely even
during a short MD simulation.  Does grompp throw any warnings about mismatched
names?  If it did, then your topology is out of order with respect to the
coordinate file and grompp is assigning DPPS parameters to DSPC.  Given the
differences between these lipids, though, I would think greater problems would
arise, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Is this a matter of lipids jumping across periodic boundaries?  You could always
increase your box size along the membrane normal.

> Mention: If in 128 lipids membrane and the PS lipids are less than 35, PS
> lipids can stay in one leaflet of a membrane stably.

This statement makes it sound as if your system is simply unstable - higher
concentrations of PS lipid shear apart and fly to the other leaflet because they
were unstable.

> So Can you help me for this?

In this case, it would be extremely useful to post some images online -
especially the starting configuration as well as the structure after EM, colored
in some meaningful way to show the differences you're seeing.  Instructions for
posting images can be found at the following link, under the fourth bullet:

http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists#Mailing_List_Etiquette

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar