[gmx-users] Re: LJ

Dr. Vitaly V. Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:45:19 CEST 2011

Hi Juliette,

Formally, you can kill this energy by going to the main topology file
(like ffgmx.itp) and setting FudgeLJ term to zero, although I think
that you don't actually want to do so. LJ-14 is the energy between the
atoms belonging to the SAME molecule, so if you consider e.g. heat of
vaporization, cohesive energy density, internal energy (U), you can
just ignore this term.

If I recollect correctly, nexcl and 1-4 interactions work
independently. "nexcl" requests to treat the atoms as if they belong
to separate molecules provided that these two atoms are separated by
more than a specified number of chemical bonds. 1-4 interactions only
treat 1-4 atoms using a scaling factor from FudgeLJ (above).

When calculating some intramolecular property, you usually need to use
only the following terms
LJ-(SR)          Disper.-corr.    Coulomb-(SR)   Coul.-recip.

Vitaly