[gmx-users] part number in extending simulation

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Sun Aug 28 12:53:59 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 17:55 +0800, Hsin-Lin Chiang wrote:
> Hi Flo,
>
> Thank you for reply.
> I got it.
> But as you see I also indicate the new names for output files.
> Do I get correct result in this kind of situation?
> Or I need to rerun it with "-noappend"

I am not sure, but I assume if you set new names, new files will be
created. The checkpoint input files contains important information about
your coordinates, velocities, states of random number generators for the
NH coupling .... That is the reason, why it is necessary for a
continuous extension of your run. The results should not depend on the
append option, only the number of resulting trajectories is affected.
The suffix "part???" will just arise if the files are already present
and you use -noappend. Now you will end up with two trajectories I
assume:

* md50ns,
* md100ns,

which are indistinguishable from a single continuous 100ns run and I
think that is what you want, isn't it ?

/Flo

--
Florian Dommert