[gmx-users] g_hbond

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 31 16:55:30 CEST 2011

Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Steven Neumann wrote:
>

>         On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Justin A. Lemkul
>         <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>
>         <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>> wrote:
>

>            Steven Neumann wrote:
>
>                Hi Gromacs Users,
>                 I have calculated hydrogen bonds and collisions between my
>                ligands and every single residue using g_hbond. Looking
>         at the
>                criteria adpoted by Gromacs I found impossible that number of
>                hydrogen bonds were higher than number of collisions...
>         And what
>                is interesting in one of my residue I obtained result like
>                this... All Hbonds with Glycine - 1872, All Collisions 704.
>                 Does anyone know how is it possible?
>

>            I don't know how any of your numbers are possible (1872 H-bonds
>            forming with a glycine?), or what you are defining as a collision
>            and how you calculated it. Please provide the exact commands that
>            you're using.  If you're equating a contact (e.g. from g_mindist)
>            with a collision, then realize that the default criteria for a
>            contact are very different than the geometric criteria for a
>            hydrogen bond.
>
>            -Justin
>
>            --     ==============================____==========
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            MILES-IGERT Trainee
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu/> <http://vt.edu/> | (540)
>         231-9080 <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>
>            <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem./>____vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>         <http://vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>
>            <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.__vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>>

>            Please search the archive at
>            http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>
>            <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>> before
>         posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>            interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>            <mailto:gmx-users-request at __gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>
>            Can't post? Read
>         http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists>
>            <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists>>
>

>          My system is made of 10 ligands and one protein. I used command:
>          g_hbond -f md.trr -s md.tpr -n res91.ndx -num 91with10LIGbonds.xvg
> [...]

The average number of hydrogen bonds over time will tell you the same thing,
with much greater precision.  There are a maximum number of H-bonds that glycine
can participate in, since it only has backbone groups to contribute, so if you
find that, on average, there are 2.5 out of a possible 3 H-bonding sites
occupied, then yes, it is a strong interaction.  Using some non-physical metric
will probably get you in trouble with reviewers.  It's up to you to justify what
you're doing, but summing potentially redundant information doesn't make sense
to me.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar