[gmx-users] Re: Protein ligand simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 2 02:54:44 CET 2011

bharat gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying the simulation of a docked complex of my protein . While
> solvating the box using the following command :-
> genbox -cp newbox.gro -cs spc216.gro -p topol.top -o solv.gro
>

> The processing does not stop and continues to run . Here's the output
> that I got while solvating the box , which is still continuing :-
>

> Reading solute configuration
> GRoups of Organic Molecules in ACtion for Science
> Containing 3620 atoms in 231 residues
> Initialising van der waals distances...
>
> WARNING: masses and atomic (Van der Waals) radii will be determined
>          based on residue and atom names. These numbers can deviate
>          from the correct mass and radius of the atom type.
>
> Reading solvent configuration
> "216H2O,WATJP01,SPC216,SPC-MODEL,300K,BOX(M)=1.86206NM,WFVG,MAR. 1984"
> solvent configuration contains 648 atoms in 216 residues
>
> Initialising van der waals distances...
> Will generate new solvent configuration of 46x46x46 boxes
> Generating configuration
> Sorting configuration
> Found 1 molecule type:
>     SOL (   3 atoms): 21024576 residues
> Calculating Overlap...
> box_margin = 0.315
> Removed 1047843 atoms that were outside the box
>
> What have gone wrong for solvation to take this much time on 12
> processors CPU.

genbox is not parallelized; you can only use 1 CPU.

You've added 21 million water molecules (yikes!) to the box and genbox is trying
to remove over 1 million atoms - I'd say your box is much too large for a solute
of 3620 atoms, by several orders of magnitude.  You're probably running out of
memory to do this operation.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar