[gmx-users] diffusion coefficient: apparently, g_msd messes up the MSD due to PBC

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 10 12:10:50 CET 2011

On 12/10/11 3:23 AM, Matthew Zwier wrote:
> Hi Ruhollah,
>
> A while ago on the list there was a discussion of extreme memory use
> and possibly-incorrect results from g_msd under some conditions.  The
> problem could be worked around by imaging the trajectory with trjconv
> first to remove jumps across the box, then running g_msd on the
> results.  Perhaps you'll have some more success with that workflow.

All of this is not necessary.

You should first try to do more tests before you claim a bug. For
instance, compute the msd of a single Ca atom.

Furthermore you do not state how your simulation was done and how long
it was. Since you have a single molecule statistics will be poor unless
you simulate for 100 ns or so.
> Cheers,
> Matt Z.
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Ruhollah Moussavi-Baygi
> <ruhollah.mb at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> David,
>> thank you for your reply.
>>
>> but, g_msd gives a diffusion coefficient which is one order of magnitude
>> higher than expected for a small polypeptide (15 res long with gyration Rg ~
>> 0.8nm) with the same size. this is command line i used:
>> g_msd-mpi -f  md_mine_2nd.xtc -s  md_mine_2nd.tpr -o  msd_2nd.xvg
>>
>> when visualizing, I can see that the polypeptide crosses the boundary
>> several times. apparently,  g_msd counts these 'artificial' jumps in MSD
>> calculation.  and, that's probably why the diffusion coefficient is
>> calculated such high (i.e. 500 um2/s for a small protein).
>>
>> if this is the case, it is a bug in g_msd I believe.
>>
>> is there any way to get round this problem?

David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Professor of Biology
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755