[gmx-users] REST simulation

Patrick Fuchs patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Dec 13 13:23:38 CET 2011

Hi Otto,
you have to equilibrate at each lambda value! The unscaled Hamiltionian
is your lowest "temperature", say 300K, which corresponds to lambda=0.
You generate the highest "temperature" by appropriately scaling the
Hamiltonian, say 600K, which corresponds to lambda=1. Then you create n
directories, one for each replica. In each directory, you set a
different lambda value from 0 to 1 in the mdp file and you equilibrate
each replica. At the end, you obtain n gro files that can serve as input
to generate n tpr files for the REMD run.
I think this is the standard flow for REMD as explained in:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/REMD. The only difference
is that you use a different lambda value, so a different Hamiltonian,
instead of a different temperature for each replica.
Ciao,

Patrick

Le 13/12/2011 11:46, Otto Master a écrit :
> Hi Patrick,
> thanks for your help. What I still do not understand is, how I can
> set-up the replica simulation starting from the two equilibrated
> systems. What do I have to put into the .mdp file and in the grompp
> command to consider the two equilibrated configurations and further
> obtain the tpr files for the different replica for different lambda
> values to interpolate between the two configuration. I would be very
> glad if you could help me on that.
>
> All the best
> Otto
>
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Patrick Fuchs
> <patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
> <mailto:patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Otto,
>     yes I copied those two files you mentionned (also .rtp for charges)
>     in some specific directory to apply the appropriate scaling. But
>     according to the authors this REST implementation, you just need
>     that for the highest "temperature" (for the lowest, the Hamiltonian
>     is unchanged) and then intermediate "temperatures" are interpolated
>     using the lambda factor. So for equilibrating each replica, you just
>     need to set the appropriate lambda value.
>     Now I'd consider Mark's advice to use the -pp flag of grompp which
>     might be convenient for scripting the scaling of the potential.
>     Ciao,
>
>     Patrick
>
>     Le 12/12/2011 12:56, Otto Master a écrit :
>
>         Hi Patrick,
>         Thanks a lot for your reply. Just to be sure, you create for
>         every replicate a copy of the original force field, and after
>         you manipulate the parameter in ffnonbonded.itp and
>         ffbonded.itp. Then you go for each replicate through the usual
>         simulation preparation steps (minimisation, nvt, equilibration
>         ...). The result of this you use for the replicate exchange
>         simulation.
>
>         Thanks a lot
>         Otto
>
>         On 12 Dec 2011, at 10:42, Patrick
>         Fuchs<patrick.fuchs at univ-__paris-diderot.fr
>         <mailto:patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr>>  wrote:
>
>             Hi Otto,
>             in my lab we tried to implement this REST variant in GROMACS
>             as proposed by those authors. We figured out that it was
>             easier to manipulate directly the parameters files in the
>             top directory. There you know exactly what you are doing;
>             recall that some interactions (i.e. solvent/solvent) mustn't
>             be scaled whereas some others have to be scaled
>             (solute/solute and solute/solvent).
>             It's probably possible to do it in the tpr file, but it
>             looked less trivial to me: i) you have to know how atoms are
>             coded in the file (e.g. in the functype[???]=LJ_SR[...]
>             matrix, you have to understand how atom numbers are coded
>             there), ii) you have to regenerate a tpr from plain text
>             file; it's probably doable, but I don't know how. Actually,
>             maybe some developers can tell if it's possible.
>             Good luck,

> [...]

Tel : +33 (0)1-44-49-30-57 - Fax : +33 (0)1-43-06-50-19
E-mail address: patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Web Site: http://www.dsimb.inserm.fr/~fuchs