[gmx-users] calculation of concentration

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:41:09 CET 2011

Hi Sara,

1 M = 1 mole / dm^3 = 6.022e23 molecules / dm^3
(6.53 nm)^3 = 6.53e-8^3 nm^3
Concentration: 60 / 6.022e23 / 6.53e-8^3 = 0.3578

Alternatively, you can work with the number of solvent molecules

1L H2O = ~55.4 mole
1M = 1 molecule / 55.4 molecules H2O
Concentration = 60/(7579./55.4) = 0.4386

The discrepancy between the methods is due to the small volume/amount.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk