[gmx-users] Domain decomposition configuration

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 10 02:45:09 CET 2011

Mark Abraham wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 8:10 AM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>

>> Denny Frost wrote:
>>> Is tpbconv with the "pbc" option the best way to make the molecules
>>> whole again?
>>>

>> The only way, as far as I'm aware (aside from editconf's crude
>> approach).  Do this before you concatenate your systems.
>
> And you will then have potential issues with clashing atoms, so need to
> re-equilibrate. Unfortunately, in general there is no box definition
> where all molecules are whole and inside the box, and it's certainly not
> worthwhile looking for one.

Not worthwhile?  In the case of the OP's problem, there's no way out unless you
make the molecules whole.  You certainly can't have it both ways (both whole and
in the box, but take, for instance, atoms A and B in the same molecule, which
are bonded.  The normal situation across PBC:

  |      |
  -B    A-
  |      |

is fine.  DD can re-establish the proper bond across PBC.  But if this system is
concatenated to one with water (*):

  |      |******|
  -B    A--------
  |      |******|

the bond is physically unrealistic and DD fails.  Even if you *could* get the
simulation to run (i.e. in serial or mdrun -pd), it would instantly crash due
either to LINCS failure or some such problem.  So making the molecules whole
prior to concatenation gives:

which works.  Of course, you do have to worry about clashes, so maybe
concatenation is not the best approach, but rather a run through genbox would be
more suitable.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080