[gmx-users] pull code

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:33:28 CET 2011

Poojari, Chetan wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will use constraint force  to
> force a peptide into a membrane with pulling for longer time.
>
> yes with "POSRES_LIPID"   i am keeping the lipids rigid while pulling the
> peptide inside.  Should the lipids be flexible while pulling??

If your lipids are completely rigid, then they will not be happy accommodating
the introduction of a peptide into that environment.

> I am using pull_geometry   = direction, In the tutorial mdp file you had
> commented saying cant get PMF with direction. So please can I know if this
> error of not getting PMF with direction fixed or with pull_geometry   =
> distance will i be able to pull the peptide into membrane with still using
> pull direction pull_vec1       = 0.0 0.0 -1.0

You're not doing umbrella sampling, you're doing steered MD, which is a
non-equilibrium process.  Please read the tutorial carefully.

-Justin

> [...]
>> -n index.ndx -t npt.cpt -o pull.tpr
>>
>> i get grompp output as such:
>>
>> Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0 0
>> 6656      3433 1       105        53  -4.132                -4.132
>>
>> I am starting to pull my peptide from 1nm above the upper leaf headgroup. I
>> am using POPC lipids and distance between 2 adjacent headgroups seem to be
>> around 4.2 nm.
>>
>> I want the peptide to be pulled into the bilayer till the lower leaf lipid
>> headgroups, but the peptide is being pulled only till middle of the
>> hydrophobic core of the bilayer.
>>
>> Please can I know what might be the problem ?????
>>

> Either you're (1) not pulling for sufficient time, (2) not pulling hard
> enough, or (3) the physical properties of the system don't allow for such a
> position.
>
> For (2), using a harmonic potential to try to force a peptide into a membrane
> is probably not a great idea.  A constraint force is probably better.  For
> (3), what does "POSRES_LIPID" refer to?  Are you keeping the lipids too rigid
> by doing so?
>
>> While viewing the conf.*gro file outputed  from the traj. (after extracting
>> the frames), i found few lipid molecules to be broken. Please can I know if
>> there is a way to avoid these broken structures??? Is there a possibility
>> that I am not able to pull the peptide into the lower leaf head group due
>> to these broken lipid structures?????
>>

> Please become comfortable with the concept of periodic boundary conditions.
>
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions
>

> -Justin
>

>> Any suggestions will be helpful.
>>

>> Kind regards, chetan.
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH 52425 Juelich Sitz der Gesellschaft:
>> Juelich Eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Dueren Nr. HR B
>> 3498 Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
>> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender), Dr. Ulrich
>> Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt, Prof. Dr.
>> Sebastian M. Schmidt
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

> -- ========================================
>
> Justin A. Lemkul Ph.D. Candidate ICTAS Doctoral Scholar MILES-IGERT Trainee
> Department of Biochemistry Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA jalemkul[at]vt.edu |
> (540) 231-9080 http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

> Please search the archive at
> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting! Please
> don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface or send

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee