[gmx-users] pull code

Poojari, Chetan c.poojari at fz-juelich.de
Mon Feb 14 16:45:58 CET 2011

Hi Justin,

As discussed earlier, I removed the restraints from lipids and used constraint force for pulling, I was able to pull the peptide to the lower leaf headgroups starting from 1.3nm above the upper leaf headgroups. Below is the pull code inputs i used:

; Pull code
pull            = constraint
pull_geometry   = direction
pull_dim        = N N Y
pull_start      = yes           ; define initial COM distance > 0
pull_ngroups    = 1
pull_group0     = POPC
pull_group1     = Protein
pull_vec1       = 0.0 0.0 -1.0
pull_rate1      = 0.013         ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
pull_k1         = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2

But going through the summary_distances.dat file i wasnt sure of the progression of COM distance between peptide and bilayer.

The first conf.gro starts at 3.84685nm it goes on reducing till it reaches conf 322 ........ 1.0903 nm, at this point when i viewed the 322.gro file the peptide is approximately in center of the bilayer. From this point onwards distance keeps increasing and it reaches conf 500 at 2.864 nm. But viewing the gro. file in vmd from conf 328...... conf 500, the peptide is being pulled to the lower leaf headgroups.   So the peptide was pulled to the lower leaf headgroup as expected but I am not sure with the progression.

0       3.8468513
1       3.8324797
2       3.8197916
.
.
.
322      1.0903752
.
.
328     1.1572036
.
.
498     2.8465521
499     2.8731604
500     2.8649662

>From here i carried on to do umbrella simulations for 24 windows which i generated for 10ns each, below is the pull code which  i used for umbrella sampling........after analysis PMF converges and looking at the histogram theres sufficient overlap between windows. But due to increase in progression after conf 322 till conf 500 some peaks in the histogram looks like written twice.

; Pull code
pull            = umbrella
pull_geometry   = distance
pull_dim        = N N Y
pull_start      = yes
pull_ngroups    = 1
pull_group0     = POPC
pull_group1     = Protein
pull_init1      = 0
pull_rate1      = 0.0
pull_k1         = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
pull_nstxout    = 1000          ; every 2 ps
pull_nstfout    = 1000          ; every 2 ps

Kind regards,
chetan