[gmx-users] Output of Gromacs Demo

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 13 18:30:52 CET 2011

majid hasan wrote:
> I have attached the output of demo, and another Okay, I just ran the
> demo and kept pressing enter whenever it asked me. Demo ran the pdb2gmx
> first, and here is what I got.
>
> You seem to have the DISPLAY variable is set, so we will pop up a window with the output of the pdb2gmx program
> Press <enter>
> Starting pdb2gmx
> [1] 28221
> output.pdb2gmx: Permission denied
> pdb2gmx finished
> Press <enter>###################################################################
> [1]    Done                          xterm -title pdb2gmx -sb -e tail +0f
>
> Then it ran genbox, gompp, and mdrun in the end (I am not totally sure of it as I forgot the whole list of programs, if you need complete list, let me know, and I'll post it).
> I got similar output after every program. I also ran the files from "tutor/water" folder, but I got the "Permission denied" message.

If you installed Gromacs in the default location (/usr/local/gromacs) you need
administrative privileges to write files to this directory and any subdirectory
of it.  Thus either issue the demo commands as sudo or install Gromacs
elsewhere.  Note, too, that there are plenty of other tutorials for learning
Gromacs in addition to the demo:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials

> Looking for earth-friendly autos?
> Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating"