[gmx-users] Gromacs Installation

majid hasan pu_majidhasan at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 23:23:01 CET 2011

Dear All,

I am trying to install gromacs in ubuntu. I configured both fftw and gromacs in
my home folder following the instructions on
http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Installation_Instructions. However, when I  do
"make", I get an error in the end (pasted below). I have also attached the log
file of compilation with the email.

/usr/bin/ld: /home/majid/user/soft/fftw/lib/libfftw3f.a(mapflags.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/home/majid/user/soft/fftw/lib/libfftw3f.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libmd.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/majid/user/down/gromacs/src/mdlib'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/majid/user/down/gromacs/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/majid/user/down/gromacs/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Moreover, I wanted to ask if I can download gromacs in my home directory using
the ubuntu software center or synaptic manager?

Thanks,
Majid

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/