[gmx-users] Protein-membrane system

Jianguo Li ljggmx at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Feb 17 03:53:37 CET 2011

Hi,

"3000 water molecule per lipids per second" corresponds to 0.000384 water
molecules transferred across the membrane per nano second (assume the system
contains 128 lipids). It seems water translocation should not be observed in a
simulation of 10 ns, but I am not sure. And I only find one reference
paper(Biophysical Journal, Volume 96, 2009, pg4493–4501) about the water
translocation across the membrane, in which a asymmetric membrane is used.

I also have similar observations for my protein-membrane system. I observed
10~15 times water translocation arosss the membrane during 100 ns simulation
when my protein adsorbed on the membrane. I am wondering these water
translocation is normal in all-atom simulations or they are due to the
protein-induced membrane deformation?

Any comment is highly appreciated, thank you!

best regards,
Jianguo