[gmx-users] Protein-membrane system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 17 12:46:33 CET 2011

Jianguo Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "3000 water molecule per lipids per second" corresponds to 0.000384
> water molecules transferred across the membrane per nano second (assume
> the system contains 128 lipids). It seems water translocation should not
> be observed in a simulation of 10 ns, but I am not sure. And I only find
> one reference paper(Biophysical Journal, Volume 96, 2009, pg4493–4501)
> about the water translocation across the membrane, in which a asymmetric
> membrane is used.
>
> I also have similar observations for my protein-membrane system. I
> observed 10~15 times water translocation arosss the membrane during 100
> ns simulation when my protein adsorbed on the membrane. I am wondering
> these water translocation is normal in all-atom simulations or they are
> due to the protein-induced membrane deformation?

Sounds like a job for a proper control.  If you see the same translocation in a
pure bilayer under the same conditions, then it's not likely to be related to
the presence of your protein, but rather an intrinsic feature of the model membrane.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar