[gmx-users] index file for interaction energies

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 22 23:35:53 CET 2011

Nick wrote:

> Dear Justin,
>
> Thanks for your reply and Sorry for asking naive questions...
>
> 1- I am looking at all possible interaction energies between components
> A and B. that is A-A AB and BB. So interaction between single chains is
> not what I want. With this I think my initial approach was right. That
> is putting all atoms of 3 A chains under [A] and the same all solvent
> atoms under [B] and setting A and B as energy groups in mdp. Am I right?

If you don't want your energies on a per-chain basis, then yes.

> 2- One more thing bout question 3: I am passing on index.ndx to mdrun
> command.
>
> with the index file I talked about I am getting the follwoing for AA AB
> and BB: LJ SR, LJ 1-4 coulomb SR and 1-4. (i.e 12 energy terms).
>
> I think you say I need rerun since you assumed I did not pass it onto
> mdrun. right?

You need to create a new .tpr file that has the desired groups specified in it.
  You pass the new .tpr file to mdrun, in conjunction with your old trajectory
(i.e., mdrun -s new.tpr -rerun old.trr).

> 3- to get intermolecular interaction energies say for AA I need to add
> up LJ SR+coulomb SR? say +123-50=73 ? or just take absolute values :
> 123+50=173 ?

Sign matters a lot.  Positive is repulsive, negative is attractive.  You can't
just switch them arbitrarily.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate