[gmx-users] index file for interaction energies

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 23 00:07:48 CET 2011

Nick wrote:
> One last question!
>
> 1- So what are the 12 energy terms I get by passing index file onto step
> 2 below?  I ignored rerun! what does rerun does?

I don't know what 12 terms you're referring to.  You'll get A-A, A-B, and B-B
short-range nonbonded terms, the exact enumeration of which will depend on the
settings in your .mdp file.

The -rerun function is explained in the manual, or alternatively "mdrun -h."  I
assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you had generated a trajectory using some
energygrps and you wished to make changes after the fact in the way the
nonbonded potential was decomposed.

> 2- So I dont have to include index file in mdrun initially..In brief
> what I need is:
>

>     step 1  grompp .....(no index)
>
>     step 2  mdrun     -s old.tpr       -o old.trr       -c *.gro
>
> (grompp and mdrun  as usual) then:
>
>      grompp      -f energygroups.mdp         -c .top       -o
> new.tpr      * -n index.ndx*
>
>        mdrun   *-s new.tpr      -rerun old.trr...*
>

> Please confirm. Many thanks for your help.

You don't necessarily need the -rerun function if you plan ahead.  Using mdrun
-rerun is only useful in the case that you haven't set your energygrps properly
and you don't want to completely run the simulation over again.

-Justin

> [...]
>         absolute values : 123+50=173 ?
>

>     Sign matters a lot.  Positive is repulsive, negative is attractive.
>      You can't just switch them arbitrarily.
>
>     -Justin
>
>         Thanks,
>

>            Nick wrote:
>
>                Dear experts,
>
>                1- I am trying to get interaction energies between solute (3
>                chains A) and solvent 50 molecules B. In the index file I
>                created two groups: one for all atoms of [A] and and [B]
>         for all
>                solvent molecules. and by setting A and B as energy groups in
>                mdp file I am getting break down as A-A, A-B and B-B with
>         g_energy.
>
>                I am a little confused as I dont know if I need to create
>                different groups for my solute to get interaction
>         energies A-A,
>                A-B and B-B. I mean do I need to have [A1] for solute chain 1
>                ...[A3] for chain 3?
>

>            If you want a breakdown of per-chain energetics, then yes,
>         specify
>            each chain as a group.  The programs will only do what you tell
>            them, nothing more, nothing less.
>

>                and then sent A1, A2, A3 in mdp file and run g_energy? if
>         I need
>                to specify different chains, then to get say A-A should I
>                average over all possible A1-A2, A1A3, A2-A3, A1-B,
>         A2,B...? I
>                am really confused ..
>

>            Theoretically, the short-range terms should sum, not average.
>

>                2- I know it is naive question but What does A1-A1 mean?
>         How can
>                one chain interact with itself?
>

>            Without knowing what the chain is, no one can answer this.
>             Generally, any atoms that are within the short-range cutoff and
>            further away than nrexcl bonds contribute to short-range
>            interactions.  Long-range interactions (i.e., PME terms)
>         happen too,
>            but you can't decompose that term with energygrps.
>

>                3- Do I need to use mdrun - rerun option to get beakdown
>         or just
>                g_energy gives what I need?
>

>            You need to -rerun.  g_energy does not take an index file, and it
>            only analyzes existing groups, it cannot derive new ones.
>
>            -Justin
>

>                Thanks for your help
>                Paniz
>

>            --     ========================================
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            MILES-IGERT Trainee
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> <http://vt.edu> | (540)
>         231-9080
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>            Please search the archive at
>            http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>         posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080