[gmx-users] Residue 'DEF' not found in residue topology database

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 23 14:57:02 CET 2011

Emine Deniz Tekin wrote:

> Hi gromacs users,
>

> I am using the gromacs 4.5.3 version. I created a lipopetide which
> consist of 12 Carbon atoms (tail) connected to
> Val-Val-Ala-Gly-Glu-Arg-Gly-Asp (residues) using ARGUSLAB and I saved it
> as a pdb file.
>
> Then, when I used the following command in gromacs:
>
>  pdb2gmx   –f    lipopepArgus.pdb    (GROMOS96 45a3 force field&spc type water model)
>
>  I got the following error message:
>
>  Fatal error:
>
> Residue 'DEF' not found in residue topology database

> As far as I could understand, there is no problem with the residues
>  but  there is a problem with the atoms in the tail (12 Carbon atoms, 23
> Hydrogen atoms and an Oxygen atom, actually it is called a lauroic
> acid). These atoms are defined as DEF.  I thought  I should  rename the
> pdb to the expected name given in the .rtp file of  the 45a3 force field
> for my lipopeptide. But I could not find a parameterization for the
>  lauroic acid. In this case, what shoul I do?
>

> At the
>  http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/Gromacs_Building_Blocks
> page, I found;
>

> *Abbrev.*
>

> *Source*
>

> *2*
>

> *Full Name*
>

> *Formula*
>

> *Specifics*
>
> LAU
>

> fa.itp

> lauroic acid
>

> C_11 H_23 COOH
>

> -
>

> Does using fa.itp file solve my problem? If yes, where can I get this file?

This topology is from the deprecated Gromos87 (hacked) force field called ffgmx.
  Don't use it.  The reasons are described in the manual.  What's more, you
can't use a standalone topology if your molecule is covalently linked to a
peptide.  You can't have bonds between different [moleculetypes] (i.e. between
topologies) in Gromacs.

The proper procedure is to parameterize the lauroic acid:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization

or obtain compatible parameters from elsewhere and implement them in your chosen
force field:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field

You could use Berger lipid parameters for the lauroic acid moiety, you'll just
have to add this residue to the force field.  The membrane protein tutorial I
wrote will walk you through how to modify the force field properly.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials#Membrane_Simulations

-Justin

> I would be so glad if you can help me solve this problem.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Deniz

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate