[gmx-users] Residue 'DEF' not found in residue topology database

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:34:45 CET 2011

Emine Deniz Tekin wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>

> Thank you for your reply.
>

> Before I contacted you and do what you suggested , I did the following way:
>

>   1)      Firstly, I created the lipopetide (12 Carbon atoms (tail) +
>   Val-Val-Ala-Gly-Glu-Arg-Gly-Asp) using ChemDraw and saved as a PDB.
>

>   2)      Then, I pasted my pdb file to the The Dundee PRODRG2.5 Server
>   (beta) and I got conf.gro and topol.top files.

This will give you very bad parameters.  See
http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Related_Software/PRODRG#Tips and the paper
linked therein.

>   3)      After completing some of the missing information by hand at
>   the topology file (e.g  #include "gromos53a6.ff/forcefield.itp"..),
>   started the simulation for 10 ns.
>

>   Simulation went through without an apparent error. But I saw that when
>   I watch the trajectory at Visual Molecular Dynamics (VMD), some bonds
>   seem much longer than they should be.
>

>   What could be the reason for this? I wonder  if something ‘s wrong in
>   the above process.

VMD guesses where bonds should be based on a heuristic algorithm.  It could also
be a periodicity effect:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul