[gmx-users] g_sas values for peptide in water and in DPC micelle

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 3 16:17:50 CET 2011

sa wrote:
> [...]
> same residues in the system A.
>

> I used the following command for the two systems
>

> g_sas_mpi -f *.xtc -s md_0_24.tpr -b 99500 -e 100000 -dt 10 -or
> mTM10-TIP3_per_residu_TRP553_SAS.xvg -oa
> mTM10-TIP3_per_atom_TRP553_SAS.xvg -n System_TRP553.ndx
>

> I choose the option 2 (Protein-H) in the menu. It is the correct
> combination for g_sas ?
>

> The output of g_sas (gmx 4.5.3) are shown below for the two systems.
> Average values are computed for A and B from the last  500 ps (extracted
> every 10 frames -> 50 values)
>

> ---- System A
>

> @ s0 legend "Average (nm\S2\N)"
> @ s1 legend "Standard deviation (nm\S2\N)"
>        545    0.723556  0.0709648
>        546    0.851864  0.0780804
>        547    0.782327  0.0548426
>        548     0.97012  0.0836672
>        549    0.339449  0.0611941
>        550    0.839293  0.0795415
>        551     1.34999   0.104301
>        552    0.708079  0.0693484
>        553     1.95306   0.135732
>        554     1.02126  0.0899936
>        555     0.32233  0.0755605
>        556    0.643128  0.0645317
>        557    0.842983  0.0683777
>        558     1.37868   0.107237
>        559    0.972423   0.108448
>        560    0.875918  0.0707144
>        561     0.56353  0.0494754
>        562    0.979795  0.0875196
>        563      0.6764  0.0599796
>        564    0.792996  0.0830322
>        565     1.29532   0.123898
>        566    0.493239  0.0679436
>        567    0.991596  0.0743836
>        568     1.71456   0.121319
>        569    0.943561  0.0747361
>        570     1.12007  0.0511916
>        571    0.572433  0.0343254
>
> ---- System B
>

> @ s0 legend "Average (nm\S2\N)"
> @ s1 legend "Standard deviation (nm\S2\N)"
>        545    0.721979  0.0582663
>        546    0.905305  0.0508979
>        547    0.785995   0.053198
>        548    0.944034  0.0688671
>        549    0.394531  0.0606229
>        550    0.803279  0.0667054
>        551     1.38402   0.083296
>        552    0.920283    0.06624
>        553       1.824   0.127784
>        554    0.688272  0.0821362
>        555     0.50046  0.0694137
>        556    0.870991  0.0733946
>        557    0.765114  0.0651865
>        558     1.27511   0.116357
>        559     1.14207  0.0791716
>        560    0.950344  0.0677436
>        561    0.564978   0.052539
>        562    0.983167  0.0857281
>        563    0.670499  0.0607886
>        564    0.814746  0.0638795
>        565     1.16659  0.0778935
>        566    0.551229  0.0534253
>        567     1.02231  0.0561598
>        568     1.69817   0.115372
>        569    0.878103  0.0621447
>        570    0.982666  0.0652861
>        571    0.742895  0.0373423
>

> As you can see, it is not the case since the SA values are not
> significantly different between the two systems, i don t understand why.
> Did i use use the good combination for g_sas ?

No.  If you have a DPC micelle, it needs to be part of the calculation group, as
well.  The output group can then be whatever you want it to be.  But if you
don't consider the micelle, g_sas will happily calculate SASA as if your peptide
were simply in water.  Your results seem to agree.

g_sas -h:

..."The calculation group should always consists of all the non-solvent atoms in
the system"...

-Justin

> Thank you in advance for your help/advices.
>

> Stephane

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar