[gmx-users] Re: inconsistent energies

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 8 03:53:36 CET 2011

On 8/01/2011 1:38 PM, Vlad Isaev wrote:
> Thanks, Mark.
>
> No, it is not picking any chk files. But the coordinates in the gro
> file after mdrun change slightly for some of the atoms on using cg and
> l-bfgs, whereas with steep they remain the same.

OK, well this must be a consequence of the algorithms, despite being
zero-step.

> e.g., in b4min.gro submitted to cg or l-bfgs or steep:
>
> 2GLY      O   13   0.736   0.922  -0.350
>
> in min.gro after cg and l-bfgs:
>
>  2GLY      O   13   0.735   0.920  -0.349
>
> in min.gro after steep:
>
> 2GLY      O   13   0.736   0.922  -0.350
>
> So, I guess I have to trust steep on this if I just need the energy of
> the molecule as the coordinates of atoms do not change.
>
> By the look of it, AMBER10 also changes coordinates slightly on using:
>
>  imin=0, maxcyc = 0, ncyc = 0, ntb = 0, cut = 99999
>
> Is there any other way of calculating a single point energy by GROMACS?

There's zero-step MD, so long as you make sure the start is
unconstrained. The mdrun -rerun functionality does single point energies
over a trajectory, which can be one configuration. By definition, the
latter doesn't change configurations.

Mark